I recommend protein smoothies to my clients very often. They are a great way to start your day off with stable blood sugar levels, which equates to stable energy levels. This will help to avoid any late morning dips or feelings that you need a “pick me up” aka more coffee, snacks, etc. Think of it as a drinkable multi-vitamin, with some added greens for a super nutrition boost.
I recommend a vegetarian source protein, such as hemp, brown rice, or pea protein. There are many choices out there, but search for ones that are sweetened only with stevia, as this will not have any negative effects on your blood sugar. This protein smoothie is also great post-workout, as the protein will replenish your muscles allowing for a faster recovery time.
Here is my go-to recipe for a protein smoothie that will sustain, nourish and deliver easily digested goodness to your body. Oh, and it’s delicious!
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or cashew or coconut)
- 1 scoop vegetarian protein powder (l like chocolate flavored for this recipe)
- 1 handful of frozen berries
- 2 tsp spirulina powder
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- optional: 1 tbs peanut butter powder
- Add everything to a blender and blend well.
- Consider adding flax oil, probiotic powder, chlorella, lucuma powder or maca powder for extra antioxidants and nutritional support!